South Pasadena High School

Financial Aid

The PCC Application opens on December 1st. PCC Outreach Team are looking forward

to helping you complete the application via Zoom on the following dates and times.


Each session will be limited to maximum number of students to best support



DATE        TIME          Maximum # of students                            ZOOM LINK



3pm - 4pm










4:15pm – 5:15pm




3pm - 4pm




4:15pm – 5:15pm

15 + students who missed earlier session



3 pm - 4pm

30 (Special Ed /IEP/DSPS will join)



As a first-year student, you will be automatically considered part of the Pathways FYE

program. We will communicate all the steps you need to take before registering for

classes. These steps will determine whether you qualify for Priority Registration and get

the schedule you want with the classes you need! We would also like to connect you

with some of the support programs that are under Pathways FYE or those we work very

closely with. Please complete this interest form and let us which programs you would

like more information on:


The Pathways FYE Program will be hosting financial aid application assistance

workshops for any students who have not started or completed their application. For

more information, please refer to the attached flyer. You can sign up

at: even if you are not planning to apply to or

attend PCC.


Lastly, as you are going through the application to enrollment process at PCC, we want

you to have a guide to refer to, so you’ll always know what your next step is. You can

find the checklist at:


If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to us at

Virtual Financial Aid Night was held on September 30, 2020. Tiffany Mendez, the Director of Financial Aid, from Occidental College hosted the virtual event and shared her expertise and knowledge on the FAFSA and CSS Profile. The PowerPoint presentation is below for those that were not able to join us


If you would like to learn more about income and asset ceilings from the California Student Aid Commission, please click here.



Types of Financial Aid

  • Gift Aid-grants or scholarships that do not need to be repaid
  • Work-money earned by the student as payment for a job on or off campus
  • Loans-borrowed money to be paid back, usually with interest


Necessary Documents

  • FAFSA-Free Application for Federal Student Aid
  • Cal Grant GPA Verification Form
  • Other applications/forms as required by private colleges, such as CSS Profile (Institutional Scholarship and/or Financial Aid Application)
  • Federal Tax Returns (along with schedules and W-2's) or other income documentation


Cal Grant Information




Cal Grants are one of the smartest ways to get cash for college. For starters, it's money you don't have to pay back. If you're a graduating high school senior or recent graduate, meet academic, financial and eligibility requirements and submit two forms by the Cal Grant deadline, you may receive a Cal Grant!

What is the Cal Grant deadline?
You must apply by March 2 to maximize your opportunity to receive an award.

If you miss the March 2 Cal Grant deadline AND you plan to attend a community college in the fall, you have until September 2 to apply. However, the number of Cal Grant awards is limited.

How Much Money Are We Talking About?
With a Cal Grant you can get up to $12,192 a year to pay for college expenses at any qualifying California college, university or career or technical school in California. Depending on which Cal Grant you get, the money can be used for tuition, room and board, even books and pencils. The best part is, it's yours to keep and you don't have to pay it back.

Here's How to Apply.
Submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) between January 1 and September 2 and submit a verified Cal Grant GPA anytime between November and the September 2 deadline. If you meet the income, eligibility, and GPA requirements, the cash is yours. The best part is, you can fill out the FAFSA online.

To submit a verified Cal Grant GPA, first check with your school to see if they will do it for you.  **SPHS will do this for seniors. See your Counselor. 




  • Cal Grant A Entitlement Awards-for students with a GPA of at least a 3.0, family income and assets below the state ceilings, and who demonstrate financial need
  • Cal Grant B Entitlement Awards-for students from disadvantaged or low income families with a GPA of at least 2.0, family income and assets below the state ceilings, and who demonstrate financial need
  • Cal Grant C Awards-for students from low income families pursuing vocational programs of study


To Be Cal Grant eligible

    • be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen
    • be a California resident
    • attend a California college or university in 2019-2020


SENIORS: The Cal Grant application forms/Dream Act forms will be distributed in Senior English classes (date TBD). The Cal Grant is "free" money you may receive if you attend any California college or university.  We encourage all of you to apply for this grant, even though you may be thinking of attending school out-of-state.  Sometimes the student's family may suffer economic changes and cannot afford the out of state tuition.  It is a simple form: name, address, social security number and student and parent signature.  If you are already 18, you do not need your parent signature.  YOU MUST CLEARLY PRINT YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY.  If you do not have one, we have a different form for you to fill out.  If you have any questions, see your Counselor.  


Financial Aid Links

Financial aid information, family contribution calculators (EFC),“Fund Finder”

CSS PROFILE – many independent colleges require this form

Financial aid information, PIN, family contribution calculators, 4 free scholarship search programs

A free scholarship search program and much more.

Excellent information about education loans, financial aid information - Financial aid information - A scholarship directory for Latinos & AB 540 students

Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors (DREAM Act). Allows children without proper visas/immigration documentation who have attended school on a regular basis and otherwise meet in-state tuition and GPA requirements to apply for student financial aid benefits.